Sunday, August 4, 2013

On NOT blogging...

It's been weeks since I've written a blog entry and I feel as if I owe my loyal readership - all seven of you :) - some explanation. This blog is still alive and well. I am determined to keep a public journal of my experiences within the EAAT field because writing is one way I acknowledge how much teaching and learning with horses matters to me. Somehow, though, a month has passed since I last wrote and now it's hard to get started again!

This blog began back in January with a post called Actually Blogging.... (a brief entry on starting a blog about EAAT). So, it seems fitting to rejuvenate the blog with an entry about NOT blogging. Or, perhaps better said:
 
What I've Been Doing Instead of Blogging:

  • For one, I've been teaching and riding in the heat, rain and humidity, which is pretty extreme here in Charleston, South Carolina. I'm told this has actually been a "mild" Charleston summer due to all the rain we've been having, but it certainly seems like Serious Summer Weather to me, and I am often exhausted after working in it (though teaching riding, as usual, is FUN! and rewarding work).
  • For another, I've spent 8 weeks on the Beach! Now, before you envision me relaxing on these beautiful South Carolina beaches and get all jealous, do know that I mean I've spent 8 weeks on South Beach, as in the Diet. Some might remember my earlier posts on Ride to Exercise or Exercise to Ride? Well, I realized to get where I wanted with my riding and health, I had to lose a few pounds/ change some eating habits. (Disclaimer: By no means do I want to imply that anyone has to be Skinny-Minny in order to ride well. That's simply not true. There are very balanced and fine riders who have larger frames or who are heavy-set. It's just that I was having trouble getting my body to move the way I wanted it to on the back of the horse and my lower back and right hip were always sore. I had the feeling that losing 10 pounds would make a difference, which has proved true.) Anyway, I like the food on the South Beach Diet and it's been kind of fun to have all these new recipes and successful new eating strategies. The flip side - it's TIME CONSUMING. Yeah, so instead of blogging, I've been chopping veggies and poaching lean protein.
  • Riding! I've been riding at work, taking some lessons with Katie Poag and I accepted an invite from a friend to trail ride on the beautiful and remote Wadmalaw Island, which was a fun and enriching experience. (Minus the hairy spiders the size of my hand... yes, dangling over the trail. OK, beginning to understand some of what accompanies living in "sub-tropical climate.")
  • Running a household... with Lee gone in CA for 5 weeks, I had my hands full just keeping our life here going. He is normally fantastic about doing the laundry and some other chores, so I was on my own with all of that. Then, there's always some readjustment when he comes back from a long time away. And now we have a big trip to the Northeast coming up and Lee's 40th birthday to celebrate. All fun, all wonderful - all perfect distractions from blogging!
  • Reading! To me, there is nothing better than a quiet, cool house, maybe a glass of wine and a good horse book. This summer, I've read and studied Linda Tellington-Jones's Dressage with Mind, Body & Soul (notes to follow soon) and now I'm in the middle of Alois Podhansky's Complete Training of Horse and Rider. I also read Anton DiSclafani's intriguing coming-of-age novel The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls (good beach reading for horse lovers!) and a few other memoirs and novels.  
  • Writing. I haven't been completely lazy on this front. For some time now, I've been writing a memoir about returning to horses during a time of personal distress and then the process of becoming a therapeutic horseback riding instructor (the working title is Barn Dust). I spent much time on this project over the summer and entered the manuscript in a few book-length, non-fiction writing contests. I've also spent some time studying the (impossible) publishing industry and trying to figure out how I can get even one literary agent or small press to read my memoir draft. It's been a little discouraging, but I am determined to share the content of that text somehow, so I'm still working on it!
Okay, you can see why I have missed a week or two of blogging! I'm now determined to get back into a weekly groove of updating this blog with some exciting new entries coming up, including Notes from LTJ's Dressage with Mind, Body & Soul and from PATH Intl. Evaluator Training at High Hopes Therapeutic Riding on Aug. 16th (can't wait!).

I also have been thinking about profiling certified professionals making a career in the EAAT field (What does it take? How do people make it work over time?) - please let me know if you are interested in being profiled or have any ideas for someone to write about! And, I know, I really need to get more photos on this blog! I have been thinking about how to make this a more dynamic virtual space. I'm really grateful to those of you who read and sometimes provide comments or feedback. Thank you and more to come soon!

2 comments:

  1. How long will you be in CT? You really need to visit the new place & meet my & Kathryn's new ponies:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Any, Good idea! Sounds like things are really picking up w/ the program... I will be there the 16 and 17, maybe staying to watch Old Lyme Horse Trials on the 18th. The 16th, I am doing an all day training at High Hopes. I will send you a message about the 17th... will be heading to RI to see a friend, maybe could stop in your place. Would love to if time allows! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete