Saturday, January 26, 2013

Actually Blogging...

For months, I have been planning to start a blog about horses, teaching, riding and Equine Assisted Activities & Therapies (EAAT).  I have read books on blogging, done Internet research, surveyed successful blogs, come up with a plan and tried to define a theme slightly more concrete than just "horses and what I learn about them." 

I thought I had found the perfect name: "What Horses Teach." Then, while holiday shopping, I saw a cheesy wall calendar about horses that has almost the very same name (It's called "What Horses Teach Us"). 

I thought I would take the time to design a beautiful blog layout.  Then, I realized that is actually difficult and time consuming (and requires an eye for design, which I don't have), so instead I chose "Basic Layout" and changed the color of the title box from green to orange, which seemed a small but definitive move to make it my own. 

I promised myself I would carefully edit every entry, so that it would reflect not only my commitment to the field of EAAT, but also my background as a writer.  Then, I remembered how long it takes to carefully edit anything. 

Finally, partly inspired by a student's wonderful blog (Thanks, K!) and her dedication to updating it after her weekly riding lessons, I realized that what makes a good blog is, well, actually blogging!  So, I have decided to just start.  Without agenda or plan - I wanted to have a public forum to reflect on what I learn about horses and the work I love, and now, this blog is part of that.

And so, this is my blog: cheesy name, basic layout, proofreading errors, and finally, (coming very soon, I promise), some actual text about horses and the work I care about! 

7 comments:

  1. I love your voice. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! My first subscribed feed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jenn & Any for the encouraging words! More to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, Karen! When I started blogging, I thought it was just going to be a place for me to collect thoughts and reflect on our bilingual journey. I had no idea that I would discover a wonderful community of bilingual bloggers writing about their own journeys raising kids in two languages. It's been a source of inspiration and constantly renewed commitment. I hope you also find a fantastic group of followers and fellow bloggers to keep you going! I know I always enjoy reading what you write!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been on your blog in a while but will check it out for ideas - thank you for reminding me that you do this and that it's been successful/ inspiring for you in ways you didn't expect. That is very encouraging!

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to reading your posts and learning. :-)

    ReplyDelete