Monday, August 12, 2013

Notes from Linda Tellington-Jones' Dressage with Mind, Body & Soul

One evening last week, I was sitting ringside with two friends and the conversation turned to great horse books. We compared notes, reminiscing about joyful childhood hours spent reading The Black Stallion, Black Beauty and all of Marguerite Henry's young adult, historically-based novels about horses. We debated which of these childhood horse stories had influenced us most as adult equestrians, but one point we agreed on easily: horses invoke our imaginations, and have for a very long time!

As an adult, I still read a lot of horse books, though mostly non-fiction, and I just finished Linda Tellington-Jones' most recent release Dressage with Mind, Body & Soul: A 21st-Century Approach to the Science and Spirituality of Riding and Horse-and-Rider Well-Being. Wow, that's a long and complex title!

And, frankly, it's a long and complex book!

Even for me, admittedly the ultimate horse-dork (Need proof? See throwback photo!), it reads a little textbook-y, especially at first. Since I am only superficially familiar with Tellington-Jones' renowned body work (for horses, dogs, other animals and humans!) and training methods, I had to do quite a bit of paging back and forth between the text itself and the glossary. Having said that, I am so glad I stuck with it... truly, the book is filled with vital, valuable information about riding, training, the sport of dressage, learning in general, and just being a best friend to the horses in our lives.

It's hard to summarize a book that contains so much vibrant information, but the premise of the book is an updated, holistic approach to the traditional dressage training scale pyramid, with the addition of balance as the base of the pyramid. (Tellington-Jones is quick to specify this includes physical, mental and emotional balance - Amen!) The author makes a unique, insightful and fun (color-coded!) exploration of each element of the updated scale (balance, rhythm, suppleness, contact, impulsion, straightness and collection), and describes how to access these elements using techniques that are holistic, humane, meaningful and, yes, even fun for both horse and rider. I love this organizational premise and it motivated me to keep reading.

I admire how Tellington-Jones explains the importance of intention when working with horses. She develops the concept of riding/ training in dressage with "heART," highlighting the concept that dressage should be an ART, one that is "an aesthetic representation of your relationship with yourself... and with your horse." She elaborates: "It is my desire to make you more open to the idea of being 'one' with your horse." As I was reading this encompassing text, I recognized: if Oprah wanted to choose a trainer/ rider to feature on OWN Network's Super Soul Sunday, Tellington-Jones would be a great pick! (And, yes, that's a huge compliment! I love Super Soul Sunday!) Tellington-Jones simply goes beyond the "norms" in dressage training to include the betterment of the person/rider as a key element of dressage.

Dressage with Mind, Body & Soul is definitely a book to be read, studied, re-read, put aside and revisited from time to time and used for reference.

Though there was much practical info woven throughout some really inspiring soul-talk, my favorite line of the book and take away point is this: "Dreams shouldn't be constrained by reality. Reality should subsist of the dreams you make come true." I love that this comes from a trainer who is respected internationally at all levels and in multiple disciplines and is obviously an intellectual, intelligent, practical horse woman on many levels. The fact that much of her advice is extremely down-to-earth makes the inclusion of this dreamer's wisdom all the more inspiring and profound.

After all, most of us do turn to horses and riding for connection and inspiration, as well as sport and fun! There is an element of "dreaming" to loving these animals... at least for me, there has been since I first turned the pages of those "horse-y" novels as a young teen. I believe that dreaming and imagination are woven through all of the best work with horses, and that this can inspire us to pursue, find and get to know our best selves. Tellington-Jones' book is definitely one entry point for this pursuit!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Karen, I enjoyed your review very much and I love your writing style. Your review was just today brought to my attention and I appreciate your perspective on the book - what touched you and made you prick up your ears! Especially your notice of "Dreams shouldn't be constrained by reality. Reality should subsist of the dreams you make come true.". That is the interpretation of my brilliant co-author Rebecca Didier of our basic TTouch philosophy: "Change your mind and you can change your horse." I find that most riders focus on performance/behavior/relationship as it IS instead of holding out for "infinite possibilities" out of which can emerge the horse of your dreams. It would be wonderful if you could post your review on Amazon. May your dreams be fulfilled in 2015. aloha, Linda Tellington-Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Linda Tellington-Jones! It has certainly made my day to connect with you in this way! Your work has influenced my relationships with horses for many years and remains a guiding light in my practices with horses and riders. (Over 20 years ago, I read one of your early books and based a high school science fair project on TTouch work with my sensitive Morgan mare, Madonna.)

      Thank you for your generosity in taking the time to comment. Last year, Rebecca Didier was also very generous towards me by providing personal comments on chapters from my memoir, Barn Dust: Becoming & Practicing as a Therapeutic Horseback Riding Instructor. I appreciate the personal encouragement from you both as well as the fine books that inspire me along what can at times be a challenging career and life path with horses!

      I have posted the review, both on Amazon and Facebook. Thank you again for your comment and wishing you all the best! Karen

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Linda Tellington-Jones! It has certainly made my day to connect with you in this way! Your work has influenced my relationships with horses for many years and remains a guiding light in my practices with horses and riders. (Over 20 years ago, I read one of your early books and based a high school science fair project on TTouch work with my sensitive Morgan mare, Madonna.)

    Thank you for your generosity in taking the time to comment. Last year, Rebecca Didier was also very generous towards me by providing personal comments on chapters from my memoir, Barn Dust: Becoming & Practicing as a Therapeutic Horseback Riding Instructor. I appreciate the personal encouragement from you both as well as the fine books that inspire me along what can at times be a challenging career and life path with horses!

    I have posted the review, both on Amazon and Facebook. Thank you again for your comment and wishing you all the best! Karen

    ReplyDelete