Saturday, April 27, 2013

Thoughts at the end of a good week...

When I became a certified PATH Intl. Therapeutic Riding Instructor, I expected my life to change (it did, but in none of the ways I expected). I thought I would spend my days experiencing the magic of horses and helping people. I thought doing so would be mainly fun and easy.

In actuality, it is rarely easy, mostly fun and often profound. That was what I don't think I expected. I thought teaching therapeutic riding would be more of a "hobby-job," not necessarily the soul-touching, heart-wrenching, colossally inspiring, mind-body-spirit work that it actually is. I underestimated the challenge, but I also underestimated how fulfilling it can be.

Before becoming certified in 2009, I had been teaching for years in more traditional settings - classrooms and tutoring "labs." I liked teaching, but I would not often have described it as profound.

I think that was because I hadn't found my "medium." Horses, teaching riding, did that for me - I found it. I like teaching in general, but I love teaching people (with or without disabilities) about horses and riding because I feel like I am tapping into something of my own essence and sharing it with others. Because of the innate biofeedback that the horses give both me and my students, it is often profound for me in a way that teaching in the classroom was not.

There are some very hard weeks: weather is bad, students have setbacks, physical exhaustion, center politics. But for the most part, I just feel so freaking lucky - so wildly fortunate - to do what I do. 

On a good week, it might look something like this:
  • The dressage lessons I've been taking to improve my own riding kick in and I have a breakthrough ride and feel great physically and spiritually.
  • One of my therapeutic riding students does something that exceeds my expectations. (This week it was L. taking complete control of her horse at the walk and trot and posting her way around the large arena, when three weeks ago she wasn't yet posting the trot at all.)
  • There are informal conversations around the barn, with volunteers or "able-bodied" students, where someone reveals a fear or awe they've always had for horses, how they've overcome it or tapped into respectively, and how that unique sense of empowerment carries over into daily life.
  • A horse I've been working with - believed in - comes into program in a way that is meaningful and authentic for me and that honors both her nature and potential. 
On a good week, it feels like all I've ever wanted to do. On a good week, I remember that horses inspire us to be better humans.

I don't want to glorify our profession, because it's not always, well, glorious. But, I am so grateful for the chance to participate in the world of Equine Assisted Activities & Therapies because when it's good, it's good

2 comments:

  1. Lovely words... every job has ups and downs. As long as the good is 'good enough' to hold you through the bad- you are right for the job!

    ReplyDelete