Monday, April 22, 2013

Notes from Linda Kohanov's The Power of the Herd

I am a terrific fan of Linda Kohanov’s writing. Her most well-known text, The Tao of Equus,* deeply inspired me when I first read it back in 2006. I was going through a tumultuous personal time – profound and heart-numbing grief – and my mother brought The Tao of Equus back from some bargain book sale. Reading it, I was reminded about how important horses once were in my life, how comforting I found their presence.  This led to a nagging thought in the back of my mind “get yourself back to horses and riding!” which led to volunteering at High Hopes Therapeutic Riding, which led to certifying as a PATH Intl. Instructor, which led to, really, healing and the channeling of my grief into a newfound sense of purpose.

When I finished reading it, I wrote this note on the last page: "This is what I've always known. It's what I can do and have to do. I'm grateful to have read this book."

Formally, Kohanov’s ideas relate most directly to practices of Equine Facilitated Psychotherapy, but really she coaches (and writes about) a hybrid practice of horsemanship, spiritual practice, emotional resonance with animals and people, and interpretation of myths and symbols. It sounds complex – it is!
At the deepest level, her methods are informed by the “non-predatory wisdom” of horses, which she knows as sentient beings capable of the deepest forms of emotional connection, communication and teaching.

Kohanov makes a point in Tao of Equus of distinguishing her work from therapeutic riding (the adapted teaching of horsemanship/ riding skills to individuals with disabilities) and hippotherapy (the utilization of the horse’s movement to achieve therapeutic goals). However, I think Kohanov’s practices and beliefs are deeply relevant to anyone who engages in therapeutic or healing practices with horses or other animals: at the essence of her texts, Kohanov asks us to listen to and learn from our animal partners as well as to respect them as individuals with diverse gifts to offer.
Kohanov’s latest text, The Power of the Herd,* could really be appreciated by anyone who has ever been in a leadership position (and I believe all teachers are leaders!) or aspired to one. It’s a complex text. She explores: (1) The successes and challenges of great leaders throughout history (i.e. George Washington) and the remarkable influence that horses and horsemanship had in the lives of many of these leaders; (2) Leadership dynamics among horses – how they are really much more complex than there just being an ‘alpha’ horse – and what we can learn from them; (3) Her own experiences, positive and negative, as the visionary leader of Eponaquest Worldwide; and (4) She details “The Twelve ‘Power of the Herd’ Guiding Principles,” which give insight to applying leadership lessons learned from horses to interpersonal communications.

I read it on my Nook and feel like it’s a book I need to read again in a print version. It’s the kind of text you want to write all over, highlight. Pages should be dog-eared. A few question marks in the margins and maybe even tears smudging some ink! There’s much to learn from this text and I see so much potential for Kohanov’s ideas about leadership, based on the non-predatory wisdom of the herd, to help those of us who work in EAAT centers to collaborate most effectively. She makes the simple but profound point: “Horses demand a balance of strength and sensitivity” (109). This is exactly the balance that I seek in my daily work with horses and individuals with special needs. From reading Kohanov’s texts, I realize how important it is to try to bring this balance to all of my human interactions, not just with people who happen to be my students. Her book contains fabulous insight about how to attain this balance.
I am eager to read it for a second time!



*The Toa of Equus: A Woman’s Journey of Healing & Transformation through the Way of the Horse. Novato, CA: New World Library, 2001.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment