Sunday, May 12, 2013

Hipsimo: Part II of Ride to Exercise or Exercise to Ride?

I received several interesting suggestions about exercise options for riders, but one of my favorite suggestions came from PATH Intl. Therapeutic Riding and Interactive Vaulting Instructor, Anja Cain. Anja shared her "Hipsimo" with me and, let me say, this is my kind of exercise!

Her what? Her Hipsimo!

Basically, a Hipsimo is "motion chair" that one can use to stretch hips and spine with deliberate exercises. Alternatively, one can just sit on it while working at a desk or watching TV and, because the round seat is "unstable," it requires the sitter to gently but constantly engage the core muscles to maintain balance. (Yes, I am working my abs even as I type this blog entry!)

And, no, this is not an infomercial for the Hipsimo. Though I am impressed with this very cool product, I think that one could probably attain many of these benefits from sitting on an inflatable balance ball while typing, chatting on the phone or watching TV. (Passive exercise - I love it!)

The Hipsimo was developed in Germany (name comes from Hips - In - Motion) and is used as an office chair, therapeutic tool and in training for sports, especially by equestrians. The point of sitting on the Hipsimo (as opposed to a regular chair) is to develop stable core muscles (abs and back), with flexible hip joints. This is exactly the exercise goal/ concept I wrote about last week (quoting equestrian/ Pilates instructor Janice Dulack).

The version that Anja has ("Hipsimo On the Go") can be placed on any flat surface and put to instant use. I set it on a chair and sat on it for about five minutes, stretching my hip joints down, from side to side, and from front to back (again similar to how you might on a balance ball). I stretched my shoulders, neck, upper spine and lower back and heard a lot of crunching and cracking. The balance challenge on a scale of 1 - 10 was probably about a 2 (again, my kind of exercise!). When I stood up to walk away, I stepped forward with my right hip and heard a crunching crack-pop in my lower back on the right side; stepped forward on the left and the same thing happened there.

I love the idea of incorporating the Hipsimo into my life, just sitting on it while working or using it for stretching before riding. (Anja keeps hers at the barn and has also used it as an unmounted tool for instructing riders in how to weight their seat bones evenly or find neutral spine.)

As I've thought about the concepts of core stability and hip flexibility this week, I have also found myself watching riders of all levels and abilities differently with these ideas in mind. If you think about it, this physical requirement for riding (stable core, flexible joints) is also a wonderful metaphor for emotional resiliency: the "core stability" to be true to one's self and purpose; the major "hip joint flexibility" needed to absorb and "go with" the forward impulsion and movement of one's life.

According to none other than the great Sally Swift (founder of Centered Riding): "Increased body awareness gives you a greater awareness of your inner self as well as your surroundings. Changing your [physical/riding] habits will cultivate an ability to make clearer choices: a balanced body permits a balanced state of mind.” I like the idea that what we learn about physical balance while riding can translate to a balanced mental state, expanding cognitive, emotional and even spiritual stability, flexibility and resiliency. 

2 comments:

  1. What a cool thing! So are you going to get one? Did you like the "on the go" version? Sounds like a great idea to me! Hip stretching and core strengthening are two things I want to do more of. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thank you so much for commenting! I think I am going to try to borrow/ use my friend's Hipsimo at work. If I continue to enjoy it this much and feel so much benefit, I will definitely purchase one. I always think it's good to try out exercise stuff first if possible, so it doesn't end up sitting in the corner... It really is a cool thing - German ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete