Thursday, February 14, 2013

Notes from Riding on the Autism Spectrum, C.Pelletier-Milet

I was excited to read Riding on the Autism Spectrum: How Horses Open New Doors for Children with ASD by Claudine Pelletier-Milet (Trafalgar Square Books, 2012). Originally published in France, the translation of this text supports evidence of strong interest in the U.S. about the connection between individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and horseback riding. 

Ms. Pelletier's narrative details her inspiring work with horses/ riding and the autistic population near Paris, mostly very young children.  Her text is a useful historical record: Pelletier has been exploring how horses can facilitate positive changes for those with autism for over thirty years. Unfortunately, much of the theoretical basis for Pelletier's work is antiquated; she writes: "the crisis in an autistic child's life is triggered by the separation from the mother at birth: it was too sudden and too violent" (90).  This is a psychoanalytic theory largely dismissed in contemporary autism research (which tends to be neurologically based).  In fact, even the publisher, Trafalgar Square Books, acknowledges in an introductory note:  "...the French school of thought and related research pertaining to ASD differs in depth, perception and terminology from that in the United States and other parts of the world. We are thankful that the United States is a world leader in advancement of ASD theory and treatment" (8).

I suppose that part of my frustration with Pelletier's narrative is that it reads as if the author has stumbled onto the innovation of working with horses to serve those with autism: in reality, this practice is widely in place at therapeutic riding centers all over the U.S., many accredited through the Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International (PATH Intl.).  As a PATH Intl. certified instructor, I have access to a collective body of knowledge that colleagues in the field have developed, explored and relayed through mentoring and accredited trainings. Teaching those with ASD, I can practice these methods (which emphasize safety, sensory integration, social/ learning goals and basic riding skills); then innovate from there to develop the right approach for each individual. 

It frustrates me that Pelletier's book does not acknowledge that PATH Intl. has certified over 4500 instructors worldwide, and Centers serve over 54,000 people a year (not all with autism, but among those served are many on the spectrum).  I had a similar reaction when I read Rupert Isaacson's Horse Boy: I thoroughly enjoyed the narrative, which is a poignant account of Isaacson's personal experiences with his son, who has ASD, but I am frustrated Isaacson doesn't even acknowledge the opportunity for those with autism to ride horses at Centers that are accessible, affordable and safe. 

I know this sounds highly critical!  I have to add that both Pelletier's and Isaacson's texts draw positive attention to the potential that Equine Assisted Activities & Therapies (EAAT) have for those with ASD.  Overall, I'm glad they are in print for this reason and because they are wonderful narratives in their own right.  I learned from reading both of them... I just believe that what we do at PATH Intl. Centers is also worthy of a book-length narrative that is published and distributed on a wide scale. 

Of note from Riding on the Autism Spectrum:
  • "Autistic children have a natural riding ability with poise and balance, and a riding seat that is often better than that of my other riding students" (64).
  • "[When working with those with ASD]... I am very careful about my bearing, about how I show emotion and affection, about the tone of my voice and my choice of words... I do not rely on the artifices of normal modes of communication; I feel I get back to a more primitive, but purer mode... I am always calm and I use simple words that describe objects and a situation in the most direct way possible" (74).
  • "There is an Argentinian doctor... who has proposed the theory that the very act of riding has an indirect effect on a person's jaw, specifically the bones near the base of the tongue, and possibly parts of the brain, because of the rhythmical motion of the horse that affects the whole human frame..." (107).  Interesting! I'd like to read more about this man's theory!
Overall, a complete book about horses/riding and autism is always an exciting read! 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment