Sunday, January 27, 2013

Notes from Mark Rashid Clinic

Mark Rashid is a horse trainer and writer. I've read most of his books, which are written in a down-to-earth, story telling tone that appeals to me.  I like how Mark combines what he knows about horses, with what he knows about Aikido (a Japanese martial art), with what he knows about life.  I believe deeply that the mind/body/spirit connection is important in horsemanship, so I like to read the insights of like-minded riders and horse trainers. 

Anytime I have audited a "big name training clinic" (I've watched Buck Brannaman, Julie Goodnight and a couple of others), I always leave intrigued, but skeptical.  It's inspiring to watch masterful horsemen/women at work, but I often feel that most of the audience (perhaps self included!) take away only a superficial impression of what the trainer is doing and therefore leave with a false sense of knowledge.  (It concerns me that people go home and try what they think they saw on their own horses and then end up doing more harm then good!)  I believe it's a fault of the format of these clinics more than anything else. 

I was surprised but glad to find Mark's clinic was organized as private lessons and there were only about 10 of us auditing, so it felt a lot more personal and he was able to answer questions.  Unfortunately, due to time and distance, we were only able to watch three riders go, but I did leave with some take home messages that I will keep in mind while I ride and teach this week:
  • "When I get on a horse I don't know, I try to establish with the horse the way I ride, not let the horse establish with me the way that everyone else rides him." - Mark Rashid
  • Mark talked about looking for a certain feel when he rides and trains horses and said he'd call that feel "availability."  I guess that means the feeling that whatever he might ask for next, the horse is ready to do it.
  • Mark also talked a little about life and living well, which I really enjoyed listening to.  He said when he's dealing with a conflict, annoyance, or really any situation, he asks himself: Is this going to be important to me in five years?  If not, he doesn't bother to give it much thought/ action/ energy. I think if I could follow this advice consistently, it would save me a lot of time and worry! 
Overall, I had a good time visiting Hickory Ridge Ranch in Rincon, Georgia (a lovely facility!) and watching Mark, who is obviously a skilled horseman and kind, authentic person, do his work!

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Karen! I didn't realize you went to clinics like this.
    The part that really caught my eye, though, was your interest in the mind-body-spirit connection to horsemanship. I'd love to hear more about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I will write more about the mind-body-spirit connection with horses... You will find common ideas with yoga (centering, deliberate breathing, internal/external balance), but the horse provides biofeedback, which is fun and useful! I appreciate knowing what you find interesting! Very helpful and supportive - thank you!

      Delete
  2. I know that feeling of availability. I can often feel that Mouse is eager to cooperate and engaged. Is the rider able to communicate that to the horse, or are they independent of each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the rider has to take the lead in being available (riding the horse that is authentically there, not the horse they wish they might have), but then also expecting, asking, requiring,allowing the horse be available back. You are a very "in tune" rider, so you probably do all this naturally. It is also possible to over-think it! I'm glad you recognize the feeling I'm trying to write about!

      Delete